This episode: HempToday Editor & Publisher Kehrt Reyher reviews answers to the Hemp Farming Outlook Micro-Survey and discusses seed selection and procurement with Hana Gabrielova, European hemp veteran, seed broker, farmer and CEO at Hempoint in the Czech Republic.
Time stamp guide to the episode:
00:00 – Intro
00:23 – Biographical background: Hana Gabrielova
- Hana’s work with HempTheClimate
- Hana’s work with the EC Industrial Crop Focus Group on Sustainable Industrial Crops in Europe
- Hana’s work with the International Cannabis & Cannabinoids Institute (ICCI)
- Hana’s work with the CzecHemp Cluster
08:25 – Responses & responding countries
- Purpose of the survey.
09:21 – Survey Question 1: What raw materials are you growing for in 2020?
- Trends and outlook for fiber.
- A moment of transition and experimentation.
- Status of fiber processing infrastructure.
- Priming the market for fiber.
17:19 – Survey Question 2: How many hemp varieties will you grow in 2020? Research and experimental planting.
- Why farmers plant different varieties.
- Recommendations for hemp seed food production varieties.
- Recommendations for developing fiber farming.
20:20 – European catalogue of hemp varieties.
- Most popular and available varieties.
- Characteristics of European hemp varieties.
- Future of cultivation seed pricing.
- Requirements to be in the seed multiplication business.
- Low-THC strains.
- THC levels around the world.
- Multi cropping.
31:48 – Survey Question 3: How do you decide what seeds to grow?
- Recommendations for sourcing planting seed.
- Buying European seed for growing in USA.
37:53 – Latitude as a factor in selecting seeds.
- Breeding hemp for different climates.
- Importance of indigenous varieties.
43:01 – Survey Question 4: Where did you/do you plan to purchase seeds for the 2020 planting year?
- The market for cultivation seeds this year
- Trends among buyers
- Who are the buyers?
46:15 – Survey Question 5: How many hectares/acres of hemp will you grow in 2020?
- Where and how Hempoint farms
- Economics of growing hemp on a small scale
48:33 – Other topics
- Status of market information & transparency
- Looking ahead: Industrial hemp in 2025
Related on HempToday:
- Job No. 1: ‘Educate and promote green alternatives based on hemp’
- Two hemp veterans named to key EU focus group on agriculture
- U.S. farmers & processors ‘feeling pinch’ as growth of market slows
- At Obelisk Farm: Small dreams and big ideas about industrial hemp
- Nando Knodel
Produced by: HempToday; The Nakło Foundation
HempToday Center, Nakło, Lelów, Poland
Copyright 2020 HempToday. All Rights Reserved.
Podcast episode sponsored by: HempTheClimate.com
Guts and Bourbon by Kevin MacLeod